Sweat Heat Chocolate Bread Pudding Sweet Heat Mesquite Sugar
1 loaf (1 pound) brioche, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup Sweet Heat Mesquite Sugar
½ cups sugar
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
4 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Butter, for buttering the skillet or baking dish
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To make the custard: Place the cream, milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until the sugar dissolves. Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in half of the chocolate until melted. (Return the pan to low heat if the chocolate needs help melting.)
3. Place the eggs, egg yolks, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a large heatproof bowl and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in the hot cream mixture. Add it little by little so as not to curdle the eggs.
4. Add the bread cubes and fold until the bread has absorbed most of the custard.
5. Butter the skillet or baking dish and spoon in the pudding mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped chocolate, pushing the pieces into the bread pudding with a fork.
6. Bake about 25-30 minutes until golden.
Crock Pot Version
1. Lightly grease a medium crock pot and place bread inside.
2. Complete steps 2 & 3 from oven bake recipe above.
3. Pour milk mixture over bread, gently pressing bread down as needed.
4. Place a thin cotton towel over the top of the slow cooker.
5. Cover, and cook on low for about 3-3 1/2 hours or until pudding is firm.