PINE NUT PESTO, PENNE & GREEN BEANS Basil, Garlic & Pine Nut Pesto
4 Tablespoons Basil, Garlic & Pine Nut Pesto
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons salt
¼ pound grated Parmesan cheese
½ pound small red skin potatoes cut into ¼ inch slices
½ pound slender green beans cut in half
1 pound tri color penne pasta
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Make Basil, Garlic & Pine Nut Pesto according to directions omitting the parmesan cheese.
2. Bring a large pot full of water to a rolling boil and add about 2 tablespoons salt. Add the potatoes and green beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes and beans to a large bowl, cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Bring the water back to a rolling boil, add the penne, stir well, and cook stirring until al dente. Scoop out and reserve about 2 ladlefuls of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
5. Add the drained pasta to the bowl with the potatoes and green beans, add the pesto. Stir and toss until the pasta and vegetables are evenly coated with the sauce, adjusting the consistency with some of the cooking water if needed.
6. Add the butter, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Serve at once.