GUMBO Cajun Seasoning
Serves 4 to 6
½ cup oil
½ cup flour
4 cups water
14 ounces petite diced tomatoes
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup okra, sliced
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 cup smoked Polish sausage, cut in ½ inch coins
1 cup cooked shrimp
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked rice
1. Prepare the vegetables and set aside. Prepare chicken, sausage and shrimp and set aside.
2. Using a 6 or 8 quart stew pot (black iron is preferred, but any heavy pot will work) mix oil and flour and place over medium heat, stirring continuously until mixture turns a medium to dark brown color. This will take 20 to 25 minutes. If you stop stirring it will stick and you will have to state over. Be sure to go over the entire bottom of the pot while stirring. The flour will begin to change color from white, to tan, to orange, to light brown, and finally to medium brown.
3. At this point, add the onion, celery, and green pepper and cook until the onion starts to turn clear. Add the meat at this time, but not the shrimp, cook until the chicken begins to cook.
4. Stir in tomatoes, water and seasonings. You are looking for a thicker than soup consistency but not as thick as stew. Add more or less water to achieve this. Bring to a simmering bowl.
5. Add okra and shrimp. Simmer for one hour, the longer it simmers the more flavorful it becomes.
6. Serve in a bowl over cooked rice. Salt & Pepper to taste.