BROCCOLI RABE (w) PASTA & SAUSAGE Double Roasted Garlic Oil
Servings 4 to 6
⅓ cup plus 1½ tablespoons Double Roasted Garlic Oil
½ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons salt
1½ pounds broccoli rabe, trimmed
1 pound shell pasta
½ pound sweet Italian sausage, bulk
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. In a small frying pan over medium-low heat, warm 1½ tablespoons Double Roasted Garlic Oil. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to coat them with the oil and cook stirring often, until the crumbs are an even, deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pour onto a plate and set aside to cool.
2. Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a rolling boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, testing often, until the stems are just tender, 2-3 minutes. Using tongs or a wire-mesh skimmer, lift out the broccoli rabe into a sieve and cool it quickly under cold running water. Drain and squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. Chop coarsely and set aside.
3. Add the pasta shells to the boiling water, stir well, and cook according to package directions, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, cook the sausage, garlic, and red pepper flakes, stirring and breaking up the sausage meat until sausage is browned. Stir the broccoli rabe and remaining Double Roasted Garlic Oil into the sausage mixture, cook until heated, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
5. When the pasta is ready, scoop out and reserve about 2 ladlefuls of the cooking water, drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add sausage mixture and the cheese and stir, toss well over low heat to combine, adjusting the consistency with some of the cooking water if needed.
6. Divide among warmed plates, top each with a sprinkle of the toasted bread crumbs, and serve at once.